Mental Health – You are NOT Alone
It is perfectly understandable that you are feeling stressed, anxious or low during this unprecedented time. For this reason, we have brought together helpful resources on this page.
We appreciate that these may not work for everyone so if you feel that you need to arrange an appointment with a clinician from the GP practice, you are welcome to do so. The clinician will get in touch with you by phone initially to gather relevant information. The outcome of this consultation could be an offer to prescribe medication, refer you to an alternative service, book a face-to-face appointment, suggest lifestyle changes (https://www.nhs.uk/live-well ) or any combination of above.
It is important you know you are not alone and the GP practice is here to help you. Come forward and reach out as help is available for you!
- MIND: Charity providing advice and support to empower anyone experiencing mental health problem.
- Borders Well Being Services: Self-help leaflets on anger, bereavement, loss, phobia, sleep, stress, worry, OCD, panic attacks, etc.
- NHS Inform Mental Health Services: Information on different mental health services offered by NHS 24.
- Brothers In Arms: Scotland’s first men’s mental health charity
- Togetherall: Safe online community where people support each other anonymously to improve mental health and wellbeing.
For Young Children & Adults:
- Young Minds: Mental health charity for children, young adults and their parents.
- Kooth: 11-25 years old can use this to receive one-on-one online session with counsellors, peer-to-peer support and more.
- Childline: NSPCC run free service for children and young people whenever they need support and advice.
- Parentline Scotland: 08000 28 22 33 Free helpline, email and web-chat service for those caring for or concerned about a child.
Text Messaging :
- SHOUT: 85258 – Free confidential, 24/7 text messaging support services for anyone struggling to cope.
- Breathing Space: 0800 83 85 87. Free confidential phone and web-based service for people in Scotland experiencing low mood, depression and anxiety.
- Silverline: 0800 4 70 80 90. Free, confidential 24/7 helpline providing information, friendship and support to older people.
- Samaritans: 116 123. Free confidential 24/7 support for anyone struggling to cope, who needs someone to listen without judgement or pressure.
- 111 Choose mental health option to connect you to a team of psychological wellbeing practitioners (PWPs) who are trained advisors working in mental health.
Free Online Therapy via Phone / App
- Living Life: Free short-term CBT phone service. 0800 328 9655
- Silvercloud: Cognitive behavioural therapy based online supported programmes tailored to patient’s condition. Access code: Scotland2020
- Trauma: (childhood abuse) Counselling:For anyone aged 16 or over who has experienced abuse in their childhood.
- Feeling Good App: NHS recommended app containing positive mental audio training program designed to increase wellbeing and resilience to stress. For full access, use these details. Username: brdrs1 Password: positive
This item was prepared by our GP Trainee, Dr Joyce Dormido.